Saturday, March 21, 2015

Dancing Delights

I really thought that while I was at Findhorn I’d be blogging almost every day, and here we are, nearly a month since my last blog – except that I’ve just published a short one about the solar eclipse yesterday, which I thought that should stand alone, unmixed with Earth-bound subjects.

I’m just entering my final week here in the Findhorn Community. This past week, March 14-20, I spent at Cluny, the part of the community located in the town of Forres, participating in a Findhorn workshop called “Pathways to Authenticity”. It was emotionally rigorous, a bit like a week of group therapy.
Now I’m safely back in Caroline’s bungalow in the Park, recovering.


Moray Arts Center, Findhorn Community - sensible photo
showing circular gallery at near end;
this is where we dance on Saturday mornings.
At 8:30 this morning, Saturday, I led the weekly meditative Sacred Circle Dance in the Moray Arts Centre, which is a charming building right here in the Community used by the upper grades of the local Steiner (Waldorf) School as well as by many artists. There’s a slate-floored circular art gallery just large enough for a dozen people to form a circle in.   Some new paintings had been hung this week: they were very bright student copies of Van Goghs and Klimts and created a much better atmosphere than the previous exhibit of student female nudes.
(I mean the artists were students, not the models.)  Actually, on the Saturday intervening between the taking-down of the nudes and the hanging of the bright paintings, I spent a  good few minutes puzzling about the “new exhibit" which seemed to consist entirely of pieces of masking tape carefully placed
Moray Arts Center - nice sunset photo
that doesn't show the building as well but I like better.
at irregular intervals on the walls. They turned out to be place markers for the new hanging.

Seriously, though, this Saturday  session is short, and it creates a wonderful start to the weekend. I began with a simple Pravo danced to “Codru” a haunting Romany tune, followed by “By a Quiet Stream” – the French version so I should say “Au Bord D’un Rue Tranquille”, then “Standing Stones” choreographed by Jan Mulreany to a song by Mary McCoughlin, and finished with Anja’s version of “Joy is in My Heart.”  You will gather from this that my idea of meditative dances tends toward the ecstatic movement school of meditation and energy-raising rather than that of somber contemplation.

The Dance goes on  . . .

I’ve been busy with Circle Dance: one Tuesday evening in early March, during the break in a rather fun “experienced group” Sacred Dance (I’m using the terms Sacred/Circle interchangeably, not entering the debate)  led by Peter Vallance, Laura Shannon said to me: “Julia, are you leading any dance sessions while you’re here?”   I kinda wanted too, but hadn’t liked to ask, so with Laura’s impetus behind me, I plucked up courage and made enquiries: there were three possibilities, so I pursued all three, reckoning that at least one would work out. Findhorn magic stepped in, of course, and all three have manifested!

So Wednesday March 11, I led the regular Wednesday 
Dancing in Universal Hall: Four Seasons
 evening Sacred Dance in Universal Hall. I get a thrill just writing those words! I found myself telling Iris, my Park Garden colleague, that it was like a singer getting to sing at the Albert Hall (or Carnegie Hall if you’re from the USA). Looking back now, I remember a bright and energetic circle of dancers – there were 18 of them – graciously weaving their way with me through a bouquet of Spring dances, including: Maze; Le Printemps; Bells of Norwich; Sellinger’s Round; Stone Circles; Lore; Al Achat; Kak pre Balkje (of course - when do I ever not do that one!) And a charming Brazilian couple took some action photos for me.
 

Kak pre Balkje - me in purple, Christine behind me and Francesca on the right.
A glorious dance!

I suspect that this dance is Sellinger's Round, which makes  a nice Maypole dance.
We'll be dancing it April 30 and May 9 in my backyard in Burlington, Vermont.
Photo gives an idea of the Hall. That's mural at the back, not a window!
 
 


There was no opportunity for me to lead a Tuesday evening “experienced group” session because of prior bookings, so instead we’ve scheduled one for Monday evening, March 23, in Cluny Ballroom. Yes, it really is a ballroom, with towering stained-glass windows, a superb wooden floor and a large picture of a Unicorn on the end wall.  It’s going to be wonderful!  Tomorrow, Sunday, I have all day to prepare and I’m especially glad to be dancing at Cluny because many of my Findhorn friends, especially those I met during my two-week fly-by in the LCG (Living in Community as Guest) program, are still staying there.  It'll be easy for them to attend!

I am eternally grateful that I discovered Circle Dance one evening in 1993 at the Connaught School in Hove (thanks, Jan!) It’s taken me on a long and nourishing journey, opening many doors of perception. Here at Findhorn, where Bernhard Wosien nurtured the idea of Sacred Circle Dance 40 years ago, I feel as if I’ve alighted in mature garden of dancing delights.   So, please, think about dancing with me Monday evening, here at Findhorn, or wherever in the world you are! Let's dance together!
Come dance with me!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment